Introducing Francis Cookson (Franco)
This passion broadened into Emily becoming a qualified RCI (Rock Climbing Instructor) she enjoys coaching climbers progress on rock, face big challenges, and learn complex new skills. of all abilities, with a particular focus on mindset and mental training. In 2022 she has gone on to set up Free to Fall Coaching as she hopes through coaching others to utilise the greatest tool in climbing – the mind – she can inspire others to tackle their biggest climbing dreams with the right tools and tactics to build confidence and enable their success.
Emily started working with Montane in 2019 through their ongoing partnership with the BMC. Since then, with the support of Montane and Sense Films, Emily produced a film all about her journey with the harder mental battles with falling and failure she has faced to progress in her climbing. This exploration has led her to understand the mental resilience she has and how it is one of her biggest strengths in climbing.
- Set up Free to Fall Coaching.
- Published her first article in Summit Mag sharing her journey with fear management.
- Returned to Spain for a second winter and climbed multiple of her hardest ascents.
- Produced ‘Free to Fall’ with Sense Films - a short documentary film about Emily’s journey with Fear and mental training which premiered at Kendal Mountain Festival.
- Started giving inspiration talks at major events like Kendal Mountain Festival, Keswick Mountain Festival and NEC Outdoor Expo.
- Climbed Goose Creature E3 6a in the Dimoraic Slate Quarries.
- Moved to Spain in her van for a winter to explore and push the limits of her climbing, however faced her biggest challenge – a fear of falling.
- Brought her van and began living in it full-time traveling the UK and Europe.
- Qualified as a Rock Climbing Instructor
Spending everyday outside climbing or coaching means my kit needs to stand up to everything thrown at it and protect me from everything the weather could throw back me! I love that their kit is super versatile, whether I need cool and breathable kit in the hot Spanish sun, or warm, cosy waterproof layers on rainy hill days I know it’s got me covered. I can always focus on maximising fun and totally immerse myself in pushing my physical and mental limits at the crag. - Emily Law